Behind the success story of a construction company, there are contribution from multiple departments. All the departments can be broadly divided into two categories, one front runners and enablers. Front runner includes execution team, who stays on site and ensure timely delivery to customer within quality compliance. Whereas enablers include SCM, PMO, Finance etc. There JOB is to help the execution team in achieving goal. Decision making style of both the parties are different, Front runner’s decision are instinctive and generally for short term. Whereas decision making practice for higher management is very much calculative and decision maker always prefers long term vision over short term. So front runners can be described as limbs of an organisation and higher management being the brain. So execution team plays the most important role in the organisation. Work of execution team involves project planning and project delivery. In a construction project, for the execution team site management remains the most important KRA.
Any site or project will have objectives in these spheres:
- Time completion is required within a certain time.
- Costs expected project costs versus benefits will enable rewards or profits to be made.
- Quality completion is required within criteria which measure standards achieved against standards required or specified.
- Performance project performance is required to satisfy the time, cost and quality parameters
JD of a construction site manager includes:
- Managing the design and construction of a stated project
- Complying to the stated architectural plan
- Quality control
- Quantity management – Material
- Safety control
- Budget control on site
- Organise efforts of all participants
- Expedite progress
- Attending on site local/legal issues
- Clear communication with site personnel’s and higher management
Why site management is required:
- Adhering to delivery period – sometimes help in reducing the same
- Better financial control
- Improvement through efficient management techniques
- Practical knowledge for onsite problem resolution
- Better quality and safety control
Reference: – https://constructionduniya.blogspot.com/2013/05/construction-site-management-and.html